Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

New Year's Resolutions

Here we are coming up on the New Year. And, for many it is a tradition to make New Year’s resolutions. You know, when you think about it, all New Year’s Resolutions basically fall into 3 categories.  We could call the categories Longevity, Prosperity, and Peace. They  generally deal with:

1. Things to make us look better and live longer, ( like losing weight, exercising more, etc.)
2. Things to make us have more, (like saving up for something, or, for some people, opening a new credit card or buying more lottery tickets.)
3. Things that will help us to get along with everyone, (like patience, and biting our lip before putting our foot in our mouth.)

All of them are aimed at making ourselves better persons.  Here might be some suggestions worth considering by all of us.

When William Sangster was told he was dying of progressive muscular atrophy, he made four resolutions and faithfully kept them:
1) I will never complain;
2) I will keep the home bright;
3) I will count my blessings;
4) I will try to turn it to gain.

Preacher Charles Swindoll several years ago made these resolutions, which he got from Jonathan Edwards:
Resolved, That I will do whatsoever I think to be most to the glory of God, and my own good, profit, and pleasure, in the whole of my duration; without any consideration of the time, whether now, or never so many myriads of ages hence.
Resolved, to do whatever I think to be my duty, and most for the good and advantage of mankind in general.
Resolved, never to lose one moment of time, but to improve it in the most profitable way I possibly can.
Resolved, to live with all my might, while I do live.
Resolved, never to do any thing, which I should be afraid to do if it were the last hour of my life.
Resolved, Never to speak evil of any one, so that it shall tend to his dishonor, more or less, upon no account except for some real good.
Resolved, To study the Scriptures so steadily, constantly, and frequently, as that I may find, and plainly perceive, myself to grow in the knowledge of the same.
          (Quoted in Sanctity of Life, C. Swindoll, Word, 1990, p. 90-91.)

No comments:

Post a Comment